This week I want to talk to you about a very common eye condition called Blepharitis. It can develop at any age and the main symptoms are that the edges of your eyelids become red and swollen. In most cases both eyes are affected, but often one eye is worse and generally its worse in the morning. Blepharitis isn’t contagious. Also, at this time of year there is so much pollen about. As we approach mid May, grass pollen season will start and if you get seasonal allergies you could be suffering with red, itchy swollen and dry eyes. The products below would be perfect for you! I will write a post about seasonal allergies later this month with loads of advice and amazing products to give you some relief.
What are the Symptoms of Blepharitis?
It can develop at any age and symptoms include
- crusting, swelling and redness of the eyelids
Dry eyes that have a gritty feeling and burning sensation
- Light sensitivity and blurred vision
styes (an infection at the root of an eyelash) on the eyelid
small ulcers on the eyelids
- crusty eyelashes that stick together
- uncomfortable to wear contact lenses
How to treat Blepharitis
More severe cases may require antibiotics that are either applied to the eye or eyelid directly, or taken as tablets.
So what products do HealthCare4All recommend for Blepharitis?
Artificial Tear Drops to help with dry eye such as Hycosan Original Preservative-Free Lubricating Eye Drops. Hycosan Original (0.1% Sodium Hyaluronate) is a sterile preservative free eye drop which is ideal for mild to moderate symptoms of Dry Eye. It can be used for 6 months after first opening. We like the Hycosan product because this unique device also dispenses a single calibrated drop with each click, and as such it offers incredible value for money when compared to more traditional Preservative Free options.
- Suitable for use with all contact lenses
- No blurring of vision
- Natural, soothing and well tolerated
- Long lasting effect, due to high quality
- Easy to use bottle
- Suitable for use after eye surgery
- The CoMod (Continous Mono Dose) system, keeps the contents sterile for 6 months from first opening and delivers a single equal sized drop (30µl) with each click.
- For a 7.5ml bottle this equates to at least 225 drops per bottle or for a patient using it 3 times daily in both eyes, a 5+ week supply.
- The Sodium Hyaluronate used in Hycosan is of an extremely high quality and this is evident by the viscosity (thickness) and the long lasting effects of the drop.
- Uniquely, such high quality Sodium Hyaluronate, also allows this viscous, long lasting drop to cause no blurring of vision, which is a common problem with many viscous eye drops.
- Hycosan is also unique, in that it is formulated using a citrate Buffer. The buffers acts to keep the pH of the solution neutral and maximise comfort in the eye. It also prevents the possible risk associated with Phosphate buffers used in some other
- Blephasol is tested by dermatologists and recommended for daily cleaning of sensitive eyelids, especially the lid margins.
- It is made using a micelle formulation which ensures it is free from alcohol, detergents, and preservatives which can irritate the eyes.
- It removes impurities, stains, make-up and dried secretions from eyelids and the base of eyelashes without causing any irritation of the eye or surrounding skin.
Ideal in the management of blepharitis (inflammation of the eyelid margin). It Can be used twice a day on an ongoing basis without causing any harm.
High quality eyelid heat mask filled with a blend of natural British grains to ease a range of conditions.
Registered Class 1 Medical Device with the Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency (MHRA).
The Eye Doctor will gently conform to the shape of your eyes and face. Either side of The Eye Doctor can be placed across the eyes, the blue side feels warmer than the black side.
After using The Eye Doctor, with your eyes closed, gently massage the upper eyelid by smoothing a finger from the inner corner of the eye to the outer corner just about the lashes.
To ease symptoms of:
- Chalazion (Eyelid Cysts)
- Blurred vision & sensitivity to light
- Red Eyes (Bloodshot) and Dry Eye Disease
- Grittiness & Irritation, inflamed, painful & sore eyes
Contains 20 convenient Pre-Moistened Pads, which contain a gentle surfactant that removes oil, debris and dead skin cells from the eyelids. Ideal for routine daily eyelid hygiene and maintenance.
Without proper eyelid hygiene, conditions resulting in inflammation of the eyelids (such as blepharitis) and dry eyes may develop. Removing oil and debris from the eyelids with Ocusoft Lid Scrub, and, depending on the severity of the condition, possibly employing the use of antibiotics or antibacterial cleansers may help prevent or drastically reduce inflammation.
How to use Ocusoft Lid Scrub Original Pre-Moistened Pads
First, wash and clean hands. Then, fold the OCuSOFT Lid Scrub Pre-Moistened Pad over the index finger, close your eye and gently scrub the eyelid using side-to-side strokes for 30 seconds. Rinse thoroughly with water. Use the opposite side of the same pad and repeat procedure with other eyelid.
When to get medical advice
See your high-street optician (optometrist) if you have persistent symptoms of blepharitis that aren’t being controlled by simple eyelid hygiene measures.
They can examine you to check if the problem is caused by an underlying condition, or may refer you to an eye specialist.
Contact your optometrist or GP immediately if you have any severe symptoms. If this isn’t possible, visit your nearest accident and emergency (A&E) department.