I have been getting loads of emails and requests at my pharmacy to recommend products that can help alleviate aches and pains associated with arthritis. I have chosen 4 of HealthCare4All’s favourite products to stop arthritis being a ‘pain in the neck!’
What Is Arthritis?
AROUND 10 million people in the UK suffer every day with the symptoms of arthritis that causes pain and inflammation in a joint.
The two most common types are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
Osteoarthritis affects 33% of people aged over 45, making it the most common form of arthritis. The condition is caused when wear and tear to the joints stops them being able to move freely, leading to pain and inflammation.
Often called “wear and tear” arthritis, osteoarthritis (OA) is the most common form of the disease. In OA, joint cartilage breaks down over time, causing symptoms like joint pain and stiffness.
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA)
RA is an autoimmune disease in which the body’s immune system attacks joint tissue, causing inflammation of the joint lining leading to joint pain, stiffness and swelling. Over time, the joint components are damaged and the condition worsens. About 400,000 people in the UK are affected, with three times as many women as men diagnosed.
Medication is needed to control the symptoms of arthritis such as pain, and to prevent further complications.
Unfortunately, there is no cure for arthritis but there are treatments which can help to slow the condition down. Also, there are things YOU can do to help with the symptoms!
- Watch your weight! As we get older we tend to put weight on, and this puts extra stresses on our joints. A healthy diet is essential!
- Do Some Exercise! The key to preventing arthritis is maintaining strength in our muscles. We need to keep our muscles as healthy and strong to help with daily movements such as getting out of the chair, opening jars and getting in and out of the bath!
- Keep warm! Heat treatments, such as heating pads or warm baths, tend to work best for soothing stiff joints and tired muscles. Heat enhances circulation, delivering nutrients to joints and muscles. It’s good for getting your body limber and ready for exercise or activity. Cold is best for acute pain; it restricts blood vessels, slowing circulation and reducing swelling. It also numbs nerve endings, dulling pain.
- For smooth and soft hands, feet and elbows
- Promotes the absorption of nutrients and moisture
- Conditions rough, dry or stressed skin
- Increases blood flow
- Adjustable temperature
- Operating/Heating display
- Including 2 x 450g paraffin wax (orange flavour)
- Includes 30 plastic sheets
- Mains powered
- £70.00 with free delivery
This Shoulder & Neck heating pad is made from soft and breathable material which provides warm, therapeutic comfort for your neck and shoulder area. Also featuring three temperature settings which allows you to easily adjust for your preferred heat intensity.
- Soothing heat from this electric heating pad, with a soft cosy surface and form-fitted design to ensure a comfortable fit for the shoulders and neck
- The pad is individually adjustable by press stud & magnet closure
- 3 settings on temperature controller
- Illuminated switch positions
- Control unit can be detached
- Pad is machine washable at 30 degrees C
- 100 watt power output
- Timer function – powers off after 90 minutes
- Electronic temperature regulation for safety
- 3 year guarantee
- Size of heat pad: 56cm x 52cm
- £53.99 with free delivery
- Deliciously-soft fleece which is an easy-care fabric
- 4 temperature settings
- Control light on wired remote
- Cable can be detached at the blanket
- Blanket is hand-washable
- Overheating protection for safety
- Automatic switch-off after 3 hours
- Large size (180cm x 130cm) makes this model especially useful in bed or on a sofa
- Perfect for warming up your bed before you get in, and you can then leave the soft fleece blanket under your duvet to cover you through the night
- £59.99 with free delivery
The Beurer Infrared Radiator Lamp IL 50 (£69.00 with free delivery) is a new flat infrared lamp designed for infrared irradiation of the human body. The infrared radiator can be used for warming relief of colds, muscles aches and tension. Infrared heat improves blood flow and increases metabolic rate. Infrared warmth stimulates the body to improve healing rates.
It delivers healing infrared heat to a target part of the body. For example, it can be used alongside other therapy in the treatment of ear, nose and throat problems as well as for facial and beauty treatments. It can also be effective as a supportive therapeutic tool for muscular tension, muscular aches and chills.
It has a high quality glass ceramic infrared plate as used on cooking hobs. This glass ceramic infrared plate ensures that the lamp delivers infrared radiation that is both intense and 100% safe.
It enables you to target specific body areas with the infrared heat as the lamp is equipped with a tilting mechanism that facilitates smooth tilt to a required angle.
The Beurer Infrared Radiator Lamp features 15 minute timer and automatic switch off. The infrared radiator lamp offers the benefits of active ventilation (motorized fan) that prevents overheating during use.